Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The letter to Vonnegut's editor, part I

So I won't bother with the back story.

I've started the letter to Vonnegut's editor.

Here it is. I don't think I'm going to mention to him that I plan to check my sources on this one. I'll know for certain whether he was convicted of disorderly conduct, dammit.

Dear Sir or Madam:

As a member of the Berry Scholars program at the University of Dayton, I am required to present a thesis project during my senior year. These are designed to engage the undergraduate student with the outside world and expand his or her horizons. Generally, the theses are research reports, but creative variations such as works of art, short stories, and films are encouraged.

My admiration of the work of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., led me to the idea of teaching a mini-course at the University that will focus on his works. My current plan is to hold classes once a week, during which students will engage in discussion about Mr. Vonnegut’s novels. Ideally, the class will read four of his books, most likely his works of fiction, throughout the year, and discuss the themes and character models present in the novels. Most likely, the novels will be Slaughterhouse-Five, Cat’s Cradle, Mother Night, and either Bluebeard or Breakfast of Champions. I have read all of his novels, however, and I am still considering his other works.

I feel that I am presented with a unique opportunity as an undergraduate. The chance to share my favorite author with others is very exciting. However, I believe I have an equally thrilling opportunity before me: it was recommended to me by the director of the scholars program that I travel to New York to interview Mr. Vonnegut in preparation for the course. The director, Associate Professor Steven P. Dandaneau, Ph.D., suggested that the experience of speaking with Mr. Vonnegut about his works, his biography, and other topics could prepare me for teaching his works—as well as preparing me for the rest of my life, I expect. As a member of Mr. Vonnegut’s traditional audience, American youth, I would have a unique opportunity to find out what he believes the youth of America are capable of, what is important to them, what should be important to them, and other concepts related to his novels.



The sucking up is to come later, I assure you.

Give me comments. Also, tell me what to write about next. But mostly give me comments.

Love,
Steve

6 comments:

Matt Shore said...

Vonnegut will meet you and be all *swoon*

Either that or he will be insightful, but possibly have stinky old man breath, which means your hero will smell less fantastic than you probably imagined.

New York is cool though. I guess I'll come.

Anonymous said...

Well if you won't lie...or prositute yourself, I'm not sure what other comments I can give you.

Anonymous said...

I'm an anachronism!

-Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Anonymous said...

you could make it more clear in paragraph one that your idea has been approved. after all, i doubt vonnegut has been reading your blog

Anonymous said...

threaten to take him hostage. either the editor or vonnegut, it doesnt really matter.

mike

Anonymous said...

I think you should make the letter far more fucked up, steve.

This is Kurt Vonnegut. You need to stick out to the editor, make him or her chuckle, and pass it on to him.

Make an impression. Fill in the details of the class creatively.

I really hope you get to do the class though. I woulda loved taking it.

-Paul