Monday, June 26, 2006

STEP: good students, terrible management.

Man, the first day of STEP could have maybe gone worse. If wolves had eaten several students, or maybe if even bigger, meaner wolves had eaten more than several students.

As it was, though, it didn't go great.

I was pretty nervous about running a tutorial session with eight of the students, which was to take place at 6:30 this evening. I had no idea what I would do for an hour and fifteen minutes, or whether the kids would listen to me, or whether I really felt like talking about English rules for that long.

Fortunately, I didn't have to. The professor accidentally sent my class an email saying the tutorial was at 4:30 rather than 6:30, causing many to miss it. I wound up teaching MLA format to the Puerto Rican student. I got to speak Spanish a little.

So they're all coming tomorrow evening, rather than half the class today and half tomorrow. So that's fine. I just need to make a syllabus and come up with some kind of plan. I guess.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Love,

Steve

No comments: