Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Shit parking ticket fuck

Hahahah I didn't really get a parking ticket. That's just an Onion headline I like a lot.

So I don't want to feel like I let you down by not writing a review yet. I've decided it's going to be Led Zeppelin III. You know, "Immigrant Song," "Gallows Pole," "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp." Classic.

But I didn't write that yet, so I'll write you a little mini-review of two recent discoveries, brought to you by Tony Storti:

Brainiac: Two-minute punk. And as inaccessible as that sounds, they're even less accessible. They mutter the word "mistakes" and hit some notes for you.

They are not easy to listen to.

But they can rock, and I'm sure they're going to be stuck in my head. And when Tony compares lots of bands to Brainiac, he's always right. When you hear a band thump out a couple bass notes and mutter a little bit into a microphone, they're thinking "Brainiac" as they do it.

Nothing really remarkable in any instrument, except the crazy Japanese girl wailing away once in a while, and robot voices. The instruments really are not skillfully played. But they're cool, and catchy if you can get through a little noise and wailing keyboard.

I am referring here to the album Hissing Prigs in Static Couture.

Pretty Girls Make Graves: Really cool. In fact, more accessible than I ever expected.

The PGMG album I have in mind is The New Romance.

Their songs are actually pretty. I think at times the female vocals get in the way, and the band really rocks without her. The instruments are great. Their drummer sounds like me if I ever concentrated and practiced.

I love "All Medicated Geniuses" and the title song.

Disadvantage of PGMG: for some reason, they feel compelled to write slower, lamer songs. Not rocking.

Okay, that's all you get. See you soon with that Zep review.

No comments: