Sunday, January 22, 2006

The final version of the letter.

Two posts in a day. Unbelievable.

I just wanted to put up the final copy of the letter I sent to Vonnegut's publisher. Feel free to pretend to be Dan Simon and post a comment accepting my request.

53 Woodland Ave.
Dayton, OH 45409
January 18, 2006

Dan Simon
Publisher
Seven Stories Press
140 Watts Street
New York, NY 10013

Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damned,
Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or charitable,
Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
That I will speak to thee.
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 4.

Dear Mr. Simon:

The University of Dayton will offer the mini-course "Themes in the Novels of Kurt Vonnegut" next fall. Students will read three to five of Mr. Vonnegut's novels and discuss the common themes, character motivations, and meanings.

I, an undergraduate English major, will teach the course. I chose to teach this course to complete an undergraduate thesis, and it is a great joy to spread the word of my favorite author.

I have all of the research I could find on Mr. Vonnegut's work--Jerome Klinkowitz's books; Donald E. Morse's The Novels of Kurt Vonnegut; Stanley Schatt's Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.; and others. I have read his novels, and have chosen several--Cat's Cradle, Mother Night, Slaughterhouse-Five and Bluebeard, most likely--to discuss in the class.

That isn't enough for me. I feel I could learn more about Mr. Vonnegut's novels, themes, and philosophy if I spoke with him in person. For this reason, I am writing to request a personal interview with Mr. Vonnegut at his convenience between March 10 and March 19 or during the summer of 2006 (after May 8).

If Mr. Vonnegut agrees, the John W. Berry, Sr. Scholars Program would fund my trip to New York. I would appreciate any time Mr. Vonnegut could afford to discuss his works and his ideas.

As a member of the American youth, Mr. Vonnegut's traditional audience, I believe it is very important to spread Mr. Vonnegut's messages to another generation. I think an interview with Mr. Vonnegut would provide great help in this endeavor.

Thank you,

Steve Weishampel

Now how could you say no to that?

Okay, I can think of some ways. I guess we'll find out which one Dan Simon prefers in a few days.

Maybe next post I'll explain why King Kong is racist. Until then, don't go see it.

Love,

Steve

3 comments:

Matt Shore said...

Did you think the monkey reminded you of a black guy too?

Anonymous said...

Steve, I can think of only 38 words to describe my feelings toward that letter

happy, sad, angry, mad, tired, content, bored, let down, apathetic, empathetic, pathetic, amused, betrayed, bewildered, loved, empty, warm, fuzzy, shut out, full, hungry, starving, like I have to poop, like I just peed, restless, full of rest, complete.

Anonymous said...

i agree with brad- that list contains exactly 38 words.