Friday, August 31, 2007

Raw Shark Texts: an introduction to crazy

What up. I want to write a review but I am feeling lazy. So it will be a shorter one.

Patrick Coate recommended a book to me. And of course I obeyed. I ordered the book on Prospector, which is the Colorado equivalent of OhioLink. Then I read it rather than doing school work for the first week.

The book is The Raw Shark Texts, the first novel by British writer Steven Hall.

In describing the book to me before I got it, Patrick compared it to House of Leaves, the ridiculously frightening and upsetting novel by Mark Z. Danielewski. He did mention it was toned-down a little, but he still warned me that it was equally crazy.

I have to say he was right. I won't get into a plot summary, but it definitely has its parallels to House and matches it in insane setting, character and plot development. One thing it doesn't quite try, though, is twisting or annihiliating text the way House does.

The ideas developed in Raw Shark Texts would sound ludicrous if I tried to describe them, so I will just say that Hall breaks some scientific rules, laws and theorems early and often. The concepts in the book are frightening and are described with horrifying detail. As I said, to describe them dryly right now would sound ludicrous, but when you're reading the novel, they are not only plausible but completely real.

The only problem with the novel is that, every once in a while, the actions of the characters aren't so realistic. The main character wakes up with no memory of anything--his identity, history or surroundings. Yet when he starts receiving letters from himself, he decides not to open them, because the psychologist tells him not to. Umm, sorry, but I would have way too much curiosity to be stopped by a psychologist who I wasn't even opening up to.

But the occasional character mistake aside, the action moves along well and the main characters are very likeable. When the climax rolls around, the crazy events come flying, and it's really cool. Very exciting, although at times a little hard to follow.

As I think about it, the book definitely left an impression on me similar to House. That same kind of unsettling uncertainty that a good horror novel or movie should give you. As I said, the concepts of the book--two of which are "concept fish" and "personality transfer," just to give you a taste--sound crazy when repeated, but are absolutely engrossing when you're reading.

I would recommend Raw Shark Texts to everyone from Tony Storti to Scott Hoffmann, including Beard but excluding Alyssa Wagner. What I'm saying is, if you are interested in a slightly disturbing novel--disturbing not in a disgusting way, but in an off-putting way--I would highly recommend Raw Shark Texts. You could almost think of it as an introduction to House, if you think you aren't quite ready for it.

Grade: B+

Up next, I am considering a review of the University of Dayton. Suggestions?

Love,

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should do a "Best of: Flyer News responses on the crazy stories I wrote" as a side-review.