Saturday, January 26, 2008

I hate how pretzels get lodged in your teeth

It really bothers me. PRETZELLLLLSSSSS!!!!!!

Teresa and I saw two movies last night. Our friend Dan wanted to see No Country for Old Men, but when I told him I had hardly seen any movies by the Coen brothers, he told us to watch The Hudsucker Proxy as preparation. So we watched both back-to-back last night.

The Hudsucker Proxy came out in 1994, and stars Tim Robbins as a small-town boy named Norville Barnes who moves to New York to get a job "in business." He gets a job in the mail room at Hudsucker Industries, where he hopes to pitch his brilliant new idea--a circle. When the president of Hudsucker commits suicide, the board members realize they can't get to his stocks--the stocks are going to be sold on January 1 to the public. For the board to get control of the company, they need to kill the stock price and make Hudsucker unappealing to other investors, so they can buy up the stock themselves. So, they decide to choose a fall guy as the new president, and they choose Norville Barnes.

It's set in the 1950s, and most of the comedy comes from various attitudes and mannerisms of people in that era--particularly the female newspaper reporter assigned to cover the new leader of Hudsucker, Jennifer Jason Leigh. Her fast-talk exchanges with her boss and her co-worker, Bruce Campbell, are really hilarious. Tim is good, of course, and Paul Newman is nice and evil as the power-hungry capitalist. There are a few scenes that might stretch your patience--one sequence of characters laughing on and on is a little tiring, for example--but it's really good and definitely indicates the Coen brothers' love of older films and certain themes (inevitability and time, especially).

Then we saw No Country for Old Men, and I thought it was really awesome. First, it's very tense. It has almost no music, which I think helps create tension. Also it probably helps that the villain is scary as fuck. I won't give anything away, but I enjoyed it a lot, and I recommend it highly.

And today I'm doing nothing. It's gonna be great. I need to transfer all my files from my old computer, including all my music and stuff, so I might do that. All I have is a flash drive, might take a while. Oh well. When I do that I will edit my stories I have saved on there and probably post them, who knows.

Love,

Steve

3 comments:

Unknown said...

why not pretzelz? i guess it's your opinion. ???

go to bed. miscreant.

Anonymous said...

Steve,


Other movies (or should I say films???) from the Coen brothers that are must-sees:

Raising Arizona--Yes, Nick Cage has had one or two good roles. (See also: Adaptation) Best white trash movie ever.

Fargo--Probably still my favorite Coen brothers film. Hilarious and dark at the same time. Buscemi never fails.

I'll go out on a limb and assume youve seen Big Lebowski, also awesome.

In reality you should probably just watch everything theyve ever made. The Hudsucker proxy is one of my least favorites, so if you liked that you'll probably enjoy the rest of em.

That being said, you fail to grasp the genius of my man Quentin T. so maybe you shouldn't even bother taking these recommendations. Of course, you can always just watch The Royal Tenembaums for the 1000th time. I guess its more forgivable than my Arnold obsession???

Anonymous said...

steve- make sure you watch barton fink.

tony- lay off tenenbaums.