Sunday, July 09, 2006

Two weeks down. I think time has slowed down.

Maaaan Lolita was really good. I liked it. I would recommend it to just about anyone.

In the Afterword, Russian author Vladimir Nabokov says one of his regrets in his writing career is that he had to quit writing in Russian and switch to English, in order to remain popular and avoid Russian censorship (Lolita was published in 1955). He says he is clumsy with English and would rather use Russian because he's more graceful with it.

No way is this true. Lolita has some really amazing writing, word play, word invention, and puns--and yes, I approve of these puns, because they're completely different from most. His writing is better than almost anyone I've read.

Of course, before I go praising the hell out of Lolita, I should retract my statement that I would recommend it to just about anyone. I would not recommend it to people who can't get beyond the basic plot of the story--37-year-old Humbert Humbert loves 12-year-old Dolores Haze--to see any value in the book. I know there are people who would refuse to recognize the brilliance of the book just because, eww, gross. These people I'm imagining are shallow-minded and silly and I would recommend something basic like Green Eggs and Ham for them to start with. Anything but the Bible, basically.

For most, though, the insanity and recklessness and terrible thoughts of Humbert Humbert will be a wonderful thing to read. As I've said about the book: The character is clearly terrifying and awful, but the book is still great. In a way you cheer for him, but you also want him to fail.

One rather disturbing aspect of Lolita: after having read it, I have some difficulty looking at girls Lolita's age. I'm not attracted to them, but I can't help thinking "Ugh...there are people who would be (are, I guess) attracted to you." It's very sad. Anyway, read it.

In other news, I went to Cincinnati this weekend for a wedding of people I didn't know. Jess Coyle invited me; her friend from high school was marrying an Australian guy. It was awesome to see Jess, Jay and Leslie. They are hilarious. The wedding was pretty much the perfect size, in my opinion. I don't know how many people were there--like 100? Maybe more? I don't know. If you're reading this, sure, you're invited, whatever. Hanging out with Jay, Leslie and Jess was really fun and I should have started theater sooner. OH WELL.

Coming up: just a little more sitting around. Next is A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Forty-two pages in, it looks really good too. It's about an American in the Italian army during World War I. He drives an ambulance. I think I like the Hemingway writing style.

Besides that, not much going on.

OH WAIT TERESA IS COMING TO DAYTON on Tuesday that should be fun. As much as I claim I've been doing nothing around here, she hasn't had a job since she's returned from Australia--just studying for the MCAT test. Therefore, by comparison, Dayton should be fun for her. She's going to be here a week. She's going to be bored while I do tutoring, but whatever.

That is all. You take care now.

Wait.


Title: Lolita

Author: Vladimir Nabokov

Year: 1955

Grade: B.

Positives: Fascinating description of Humbert Humbert's feelings toward Lolita, and an equally fascinating portrait of the indifferent, semi-mature "nymphet"; great descriptions of 1950s America that absolutely hold true today.

Negatives: some might fear the subject matter; ending sort of winds down rather than reaching any sort of climax.

Summary: There is no doubt this book will make a lasting impact on most readers. Its descriptions of H.H.'s love for Lolita are sometimes overwhelmingly sad and beautiful, and other times repulsive. I really like it. I do think everyone should give it a chance.

Okay good bye.

Love,

Steve

No comments: