Friday, February 01, 2008

The minority candidates: who are they kidding?

Here's part two of my candidate reviews. I might not get these done before the field gets narrower, but these people will probably pop up again, so you might as well learn about them.

By the way, here are my sources on the Huckabee quotes:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/mikehuckabee/a/huckabeequotes.htm
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/17/election08.gop/index.html?iref=newssearch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Mike_Huckabee - Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia???

THE SCORE SO FAR:
Republicans: Huckabee (F), Romney, McCain, Paul.
Democrats: Obama, Clinton, Gravel.
What the fuck: I heard Ralph Nader and NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg are considering.

Up next, I'll do a Democrat. Let's go with Iraq Hussein Osama, junior senator from somewhere flat. Whatcha got, Barack?

NEVER MET JASON KRAMB: "No one is pro-abortion."
TORTURE (I THINK???): "Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction."
WINNING THE RED STATES: "You know, my faith is one that admits some doubt."
GAY MARRIAGE: "I opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will also oppose any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying."
Source: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/barack_obama.html

Here's Wikipedia on his political positions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Barack_Obama. Let's see the highlights:
NUCLEAR POWER: Should be kept "on the table."
BIOFUEL: Supports. Rising corn prices???
HEALTH CARE: Who the hell knows. I watched Obama and Hillary go back and forth on this in the most recent debate, and I think they want everyone covered??? Obama said everyone who wants coverage can get it, but I've heard people say some people wouldn't be covered in his plan. So it's voluntary I guess???
ISRAEL: Likes Israel. Said Ariel Sharon had always been "absolutely important and constructive" in the Israel-Palestine conflict even though Sharon was hard-right early in his political career. Would not cut back on funding for Israel's defense.
IMMIGRATION: Voted for the wall between the U.S. and Mexico. Yes, for. Supports amnesty but thinks immigrants should be required to learn English.
ENVIRONMENT: Pretty protective of the environment, with a heavy emphasis on steppin' off the fossil fuels.

Anyway, you can read all about it. To me, Obama is a moderate-liberal, pretty disappointing in some areas but not bad in the whole.

I'll give Obama a B.

No comments: